Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is the most commonly observed form of idiopathic interstitial pneumonia, an aging-associated, progressive, chronic, and irreversible lung disease with very limited therapeutic options 1,2. IPF is characterized by progressive scarring of the lungs causing respiratory failure and death. The exact cause of IPF is unclear, although there are some environmental and genetic risk factors to the disease including middle-to-older age, smoking, and chronic inflammation 1,3. Symptoms of IPF include shortness of breath after exertion combined with
- Pardo, A. & Selman, M. Lung fibroblasts, aging, and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 13, S417–S421 (2016).
- Zieliński, M., Sitek, P. & Ziora, D. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis coexisting with lung cancer — a review. Adv. Respir. Med. (2015).
- Kaunisto, J., Salomaa, E., Hodgson, U., Kaarteenaho, R. & Myllärniemi, M. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis – a systematic review on
methodologyfor the collection of epidemiological data. 1–11 (2013). doi:10.1186/1471-2466-13-53
- Sgalla, G. I., Biffi, A. L. & Richeldi, L. U. C. A. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis :
Diagnosis ,epidemiology and. 427–437 (2016). doi:10.1111/resp.12683
- Barratt, S. L., Creamer, A., Hayton, C. & Chaudhuri, N. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis ( IPF ): An Overview. 1–21 (2018).
BioPharma Global is a mission-driven corporation, operating like a not-for-profit, dedicated to using our FDA and EMA regulatory expertise and knowledge of various therapeutics areas to help drug developers advance treatments for the disease communities with a high unmet medical need. If you are a drug developer seeking regulatory support for Orphan Drug designation, Fast Track designation, Breakthrough Therapy designation, other FDA/EMA expedited programs, type A, B (pre-IND, EOPs), or C meeting assistance, or IND filings, the BioPharma Global team can help. Contact us today to arrange a 30-minute introductory call.